That “What’s wrong” question is popular lately and the answer, in a word, is Everything. The US body politic is today like the body of a person who is afflicted by a whole series of mortal illnesses. It’s got everything and it’s all terminal:
- underlying egotism and narcisism
- obscene predatory capitalism
- debilitating individualism
- pervasive lying and misrepresentation everywhere
- corruption as the order of the day on all fronts
- deadly inequality and unfairness
- abiding greed and cynicism
- ruthlessly exporting dystopia
- creeping inhumanity
- loss of credibility abroad
- repugnant hypocrisy
- money and bling worship
- alarming anti-intellectualism
- rampant militarism and permanent war
- sick nationalism
- deterioration of the rule of law
- toxic religions, opportunistic preachers speaking in tongues
- unlettered, infirm, immoral leadership
What to Do About It?
What is to be done to remedy this cumulus of mortal ills? If this question had been asked a few decades ago and drastic steps had been taken to cure or even improve somewhat these dysfunctions, something might have been done. But now it’s too late for patches.
The Americans have pointed the pistol at their own temple and pulled the trigger. The round is now proceeding down the barrel at the standard muzzle velocity. Who’s going to stop it now?